Between the two Saturday sessions at the Spring Long Course Championships, the 2022 Canada Games Leadership Team met to discuss and put in place a plan for the swim team’s preparation for the upcoming Games of Canada which will take place from August 6 to 13, 2022 in the greater Niagara region. It is important that these young athletes have a positive experience at this Games.
Following the final selection of the Team during the Canada Games Trials from May 5th to 8th, it is important that the athletes are well supervised for the 13-week training period.
The Coaching Team wants to prepare a calendar so that club coaches, athletes and parents are aware of expectations and upcoming events.
Here are the points that were discussed:
• Goals and objectives of the meeting: The expectations and challenges of the various Swimming NB levels. How will Team NB CG meet these expectations and challenges.
• Collaborative approach with Head Coach and coaches: Work with their specialty – Sprint, Distance, IM, etc.
• Request an integrated support team from Sport NB
• Work with a platform to collaborate and share practice plans.
• 13 weeks of preparation after the identification of the team on May 8: The club coaches will provide more than 11 weeks, hence the importance and the need to involve them in the planning process and the follow-up of the swimmers.
• Standardize the terminology relating to training with club coaches
Here are some important dates to be confirm:
April 23 and 24: Camp NG and Performance in Sackville (mandatory for the trip in May except for athletes going to the Easterns)
May 5-8: Canada Games Trials in Saint John (confirmed)
May 9: Camp in Saint John
May 19 to 23: Competition in Montreal (NG, Performance and CG)
June 4 and 5: Invitational in Edmundston
July 7: Training camp in Saint-Jean
July 8 to 10: Atlantic Cup – will be competing as Team NB
July 11 and 12: Training camp in Saint John
July 16: Rally for Team NB in Fredericton (confirmed)
August 4 and 5: Training camp before departure
August 6 to 13: Canada Games